Saturday, January 17, 2015

Netflix stops working when I make popcorn

Sometime back Netflix stopped working when I made popcorn in my microwave.  The video would run for a short period of time from the buffer, but then would not start up again until the microwave stopped running.  Being a wireless person my media player used for Netflix has a wireless connection to my router.  Here are some things to consider in a situation like this:

  • Is the wireless media play capable of using 5 GHz instead?  (In my case the media play did have 5 GHz but would only connect on 2.4 GHz given the distance to the wireless router)
  • A option for 2.4 GHz, that is channel 1-14, is to change channel.   (In the US it is channel 1-11)  The question is will that channel be any better.  A useful thing to actually look at the radio signals is a spectrum analyzer.  If you have an iPhone an option is this https://www.oscium.com/spectrum-analyzers/wipry-pro  which lets you see the radio spectrum in the area.  In the case when I stood in front of my microwave I saw this.  
      Notice the peak around channel 11.  The conclusion in this case is to use channel 6 or even better channel 1 to get away from the microwave oven interference.
  • Another option if you can not have your router near your media play is to use something like this http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Powerline-Network-Adapter-PLEK400/dp/B006JG5S6K to make a connection between your router and your media player.  This device sends the wired network traffic over the power lines of your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment